Students, welcome to our project
Welcome to this wiki !!
This page is a hub for new participants to this project. It contain pointers, which enables newcomers to find information quickly.
Be aware of the fact that this page doesn't mention everything, so please use the links to external content.
For the moment, only a English translation of this page is available, but more translations will be available when the development is extended further. This crucial work are currently being done on a voluntary basis by active translators.
To chat with us live
Having a urgent question or need an address to send a document?
We favour IRC (Internet Relay Chat), which is an old and trustworthy tool used by most developers of Free and Open Source software. To be able to use IRC you need suitable software like mIRC, Irssi, XChat, Opera M2 or Chatzilla. Read more about how to reach us on IRC in the section Meet us
A quickstart follows below for the ones that can't wait.
To join us on IRC, enter the following settings in the software preferences: In the server section: irc.freenode.net And in the channel section: #educooo
What is an internship?
- We (EducOOo) work in partnerships with high schools and universities to arrange internships for students.
- A internship with EducOOo involves tasks like writing the code, implementing new features, testing or fixing bugs.
- Involvement is not limited to programming, so moving toward other efforts that help OpenOffice.org Education Project or the association EducOOo is also possible.
- The work is mainly being done remotely, so the student or the student group is supposed to be hosted and provided for by the participating institutions.
- One or several students of an identified educational institution (Engineering, University or other)
- A dedicated contact for each participating institution is required. Preferably a tutor working closely with the students.
- One or more developer(s) and/or members of the association, playing the role of mentors.
- If possible but not required, the involvement of professional developers, for the audit work (code review etc).
Involvement in this project are not limited to programming, so here is a more complete list of possible tasks:
- Programming (C, Objective-C, Python, Perl, bash)
- Evaluation of
- Research ideas
- Ideas for improvements, with traces and screenshots on the wiki, etc ...
- Writing documentation for OOo4Kids and OOoLight.
- Visibility in blogs
- Contribution to the wiki, rearrangement of content
- Coding and implementation (proof of concept and final implementation by a motivated candidate)
Contact us by e-mail
Write to: email@example.com
Alternatively use our mailing list:
- (Mandatory subscription): http://listes.lautre.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Who are we?
EducOOo  is an association of the type 1901 law, which secures support for the OpenOffice.org Education  project (a sub project of OpenOffice.org).
OOo4Kids and OOoLight are two software products made by EducOOo. The changes in the source code for OOo4Kids and OOoLight are intended to be reversed to the OpenOffice.org project.
List of Schools participating
- The Epitech Paris  (port OOo4Kids about XO, migration Mozilla -> Seamonkey, four students, three scheduled for this year),
- The École Centrale de Nantes   (annotation mode in Impress, more than 10 students, two scheduled for January 2010)
- The UTBM  (more than 10 students participated, both scheduled this year)
- The Seneca College  (Toronto, Canada, framing: Fardad Soolemanloo, 10 students, various contributions)
- Jaypee Institute of Information Technology University, Noida - India  (Vishal Garg, improved macro with Python)
- Other schools or universities (Sri Lanka).
- Oxford University  (Michal Spisiak, alignment and resizing of equations in Math)
- Aalborg Universitet, Denmark  (Jonas Jensen equation editor visual, new mathematical symbols, and other tasks for improvement of Math).
-  EducOOo
-  OpenOffice.org Education Project
-  Epitech Paris
-  Ecole Centrale Nantes
-  accomplishments made by students of the Ecole Centrale Nantes
-  University of Technology of Belfort Montbeliard (UTBM)
-  Seneca College Toronto
-  Jaypee Institute of Information Technology University, Noida - India
-  EducOOo Norge
-  Industrielle et Commerciale d'Ecaussinnes
-  Worcester State University, Worcester Massachussets
More to come...